Turning on a light or charging your phone are common everyday tasks. So much so, we rarely ever think about what happens in order to generate the power to these appliances. So, how do we get that power? A powerpoint.
A power outlet, powerpoint or wall outlet, is a socket that connects an electrical device to an electricity supply and is essential in the distribution of electricity throughout your home. For some, socket and outlet are interchangeable.
In Australia, the standard powerpoint is Type I, with 230V voltage and a standard frequency of 50Hz.
It’s no secret that these days, sufficient access to electricity is a must! Many people find their homes do not have enough powerpoints to power all of the appliances required on a day-to-day basis and wonder if there is anything that can be done. Metropolitan Electrical Contractors are the experts in this field with 25 years’ experience and can offer a range of powerpoint installation options.
Our electricians can:
- Upgrade single power points to double power points
- Add new power points to suit a home design change
- Carry out cosmetic upgrades to existing power points
- Install power points with additional ports such as USB connections
To ensure your family’s safety, regular service and testing should be carried out to all wall outlets in your home. Our qualified electricians are experts in their field and will work to ensure small fixes don’t turn into larger problems in the future.
Whilst we all know prevention is better than a cure, sometimes overuse or electrical faults can cause a faulty switch or socket. If you experience any of the following, it could be indicative of a faulty socket and should be inspected if:
- You have no power when connecting an appliance
- There is heat coming from electrical sockets or wiring
- Strange noises such as a buzzing or humming coming from powerpoints or wiring
- Sparks that appear from your socket
Metropolitan Electrical Contractors can often offer same-day service, and in some cases can be at your door within the hour*. If cost is a worry, ask one of our friendly staff members about our $0 deposit, interest free payment plans**. If you’re interested in finding out more, contact us now!